RBC Place London Signs the Sustainable Tourism 2030 Pledge
RBC Place London has signed the Sustainable Tourism 2030 Pledge, to demonstrate our commitment to improving the sustainability performance of our business between now and 2030.
UN World Tourism Organization defines sustainable tourism as “tourism that takes full account of its current and future economic, social and environmental impacts, addressing the needs of visitors, the industry, the environment and host communities.”
Each year, we commit to measuring and improving our sustainability performance in the following ways:
- Measure our carbon footprint and find opportunities to reduce our emissions year-over-year;
- Support local entrepreneurs and the community by developing an improved sustainable purchasing policy;
- Engage our guests in a sustainable experience by offering:
- Recommendations provided on amount of food to order per guest to reduce waste
- Menus featuring Gluten-free, and plant-based options;
- Take-out containers and utensils made of recyclable and compostable eco-friendly materials;
- Supporting local responsible vendors and local/organic farms where possible;
- Leftover meals are donated to local charities;
- Food scraps are diverted from the regular waste stream and composted;
- Over 50% of individual servings are being served in reusable containers;
- Recycling bins available throughout the building;
- A fully functional recycling program is in place which includes all plastics, glass, aluminum, tin, paper and cardboard;
- Motion sensors on all taps and toilets in public washrooms;
- Charging stations are available for electric vehicles in the underground parking lot;
- Underground secured Bicycle racks for sustainable transportation alternatives;
- A No-Idle zone in the front of the building;
- Be a responsible and inclusive destination for our associates and guests;
- Encourage ideas to expand our growth in all initiatives;
- Participation of green or community service team building activities.
RBC Place London is continually aiming to reduce and divert waste and identify other eco-friendly opportunities. Our operations also include commitment to:
- An effective kitchen grease recycling program;
- Electronically saved documents and double-sided printing to reduce paper usage is always encouraged;
- Lighting retrofit project in process of all lights throughout the building and surface parking lot converted to LED;
- HVAC – heat recovery, high efficiency sensors and retrofits installed;
- Chemical reduction through eco-friendly housekeeping products;
- Replacement of Steam Traps and valves for better efficiency;
- Overhaul of complete HVAC system for better efficiency and control of temperature when spaces are not in use.
- Continue to support the community providing meals for 519 Pursuit to deliver to those living rough on London streets.